Thursday, April 22, 2010

[RageQuit] Grand Theft Auto IV: Vice City (XBOX 360)

    I thought I should mention this RageQuit just for the sake of it being a RageQuit - GTA IV. Honestly, it's been at least a year since this particular attempt at playing the game, so the details are a little fuzzy, but I'll do what I can to accurately reconstruct the incident.

    I really had no interest in any of the Grand Theft Auto (GTA) series games from Rockstar North, but an acquaintance offered to lend me his copy of GTA IV for the XBOX 360, I had a little time to spare, and a love for trying new games, so I borrowed it. My total play time could not have been longer than 10 minutes.
    I popped the disc into my XBOX 360, and started a new single player game. While watching the opening cinematic, I could tell right off the bat that this wasn't my kind of game, but I continued on, anyway, trying to not judge a book by its cover, (or in this case, a game by it's opening). I gained control of my character and the next thing I knew I was in a big city walking around with no idea of what to do. I was just going to walk in to the store across the street from my location. Being a good pedestrian, I looked both ways to see if cars were coming (honestly I did, just changing the looking settings) and started to cross the street in front of me, or so I thought. BLAM! As soon as I made it halfway through the first lane, a car smashes my character in the side, draining my health and turning various icons on the HUD (heads-up display) red in color. While trying to stand up with my character's body sprawled across the car that collided with it, I managed to press the button that was the command for hijacking the car from its driver.
    Clunk! Clunk! While hijacking the car, I apparently lost control of it (something to do with switching drivers while a car is moving at ~25 miles per hour, maybe?) and ran into two other pedestrians that were probably just trying to get to the store, like me. By then I had unintentionally stolen a nice car, ran it into two people and a street sign, lost half of my health, and now the police are chasing my vehicle in multiple cop cars. Unable to adapt to the game's driving system, having not played a Rockstar game on the XBOX 360 before, I crashed my car and was ejected from it through the front window, and lost more health.
    My character was killed in a hail of gunfire from the trigger-happy police in pursuit, then its dead body was struck by another cop car. "Restart from checkpoint or quit game?" the menu asked me. I stared at the screen for a moment, then sat my controller down, took the GTA IV disc out of the tray, turned off my XBOX 360 console, and returned the game to its owner.
    RAAAAAGEEE QUIIIIITTTTTT!

No comments:

Post a Comment